Early Design-Phase Human Factors, UK & EU (Medical Device)
Client needed to understand user challenges and new use patterns for a time-critical emergency medication delivery system.
A time-critical emergency medication delivery system used widely by EMTs and military medics was being considered for use in intensive and critical care with an entirely new group of users. At the same time, the concept was being tested, the design team needed to optimize the design to accommodate new use patterns, hospital protocols, and the new user group from packaging to use and cleaning/disposal.
- HRA conducted concept and usability research among critical and intensive care nurses in UK, France, Germany.
- Using prototypes, explored optimal design for packaging for lifesaving medical device meant to be used in time-and mission-critical lifesaving procedures by inexperienced users.
- Explored impact of environmental concerns, blood contamination fears, cost containment, usability.
- Examined integration with current IC/CC protocols.
- The insights captured from study helped the client understand and incorporate critical design features that would allow adoption by users without disrupting current hospital protocols. The packaging was focused on efficient access, while the design balanced a desire for minimizing waste with an intense concern for cross-contamination.
©Healthcare Research & Analytics. All rights reserved 2020.
Recent Case Studies
COVID-19 Impact on Oncology Oncologists and hematologists are just a few of many healthcare providers that have had to quickly adjust their practice amid the COVID-19 pandemic to maintain quality care while also protecting patients and staff. Working with our partner,...
Case Study Business ObjectiveSituation: This client was planning to release new service plans for an existing line of hospital-based automated solutions and wanted to understand their existing customer receptivity to the attributes of the proposed service plans....
Case Study Business ObjectiveSituation: This client was interested in understanding the market opportunity for a new product in China and wanted to identify regional differences, usage, types of products used, current prices, reimbursement and willingness to pay, etc....
Case Study Business ObjectiveSituation: A major pharmaceutical company was preparing for launch of a new cardiovascular product and needed to gauge cardiologists perceptions of key messages and the likelihood to drive usage; prioritize claims that support brand...
Case Study Business ObjectiveSituation: A major pharmaceutical company was preparing to launch an IV formulation of a well-established oral drug for use in hospitalized patients. The client wanted to determine the optimal communication strategy for physicians at...
Case Study Business ObjectiveSituation: A major pharmaceutical company was preparing for launch of a new oncology product and needed to understand personas, product usage patterns, products used, ability to affect change within their practice and develop an actionable...